Coconut cake with Almonds
1 medium coconut (chopped and blended with 1 ½ cup water) (can also use 2 cups desiccated coconut)
2 cups self-rising flour
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 tsp. ginger powder (or freshly grated ginger)
1 ¼ brown sugar (can use more or less to preference)
¼ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vanilla or almond essence/extract
3/4 cup almond flakes (reserve ¼ for topping the cake)
1. Preheat oven to 180-200 degrees Celsius.
2. In a blender add freshly chopped coconut and your water. Blend until there is no lumps and set aside. The coconut can also be grated for this recipe.
3. Using a clean bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
4. Add in all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.
5. Line your baking pan with baking paper and pour batter into a square or round 12-inch cake pan.
6. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean.
7. Once it is baked, place on a cooling rack to cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting. This cake can be eaten warm or cold.
I highly recommend having this cake whilst warm with some custard as a tasty dessert or on its own with a cup or mint tea for breakfast.